Slideshow Image 1

Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

Nixon's birth


Bree’s birth with Nixon
May 22, 2012, Tuesday
Written May 23, 2012

Brett and Bree have been living in Gilbert, Arizona for the past year. Brett is working for Titan Security. Bree was able to schedule the inducement for the birth of Nixon which made it so nice for us and her parents to be able to be there for the birth. She said that she wanted both of the mom’s here for the labor because that is the fun part! (Fun… for who? Not her.)  Yes, we think it is great but I would be thinking differently if I was the one laboring. She does make the delivery seem easy with an epidural. Nothing has been quite like Llayton’s birth. Thank goodness! That was so difficult to watch.

Even though she labored longer with Nixon than with Caiden, it was perfect since she had Strep B and therefore needed medication during the labor. That took 4 hours. So it was such a blessing that she was slow to progress or they would have needed to do work on Nixon after the birth. It would have been costly and painful for him. (I think there is a gospel message here….Bree labored and was in pain and took that on herself and spared Nixon from having to go through that pain…atonement?)

She was scheduled to check in the hospital at 5 am but prior to that she got a call and was asked not to come. They didn’t have the room but they would call her when a room opened up. Bree, Terrie and I were about to go out shopping at noon when the hospital called and said they were ready for her. She said, “Oh no, I am going to put myself in pain!” After she got checked in she was dialated to a 3 and 70% effaced. They started the strep B IV and the pitocin and she labored comfortably, at least to us. She moved along slowly and reached a 4. She decided it was time for the epidural as the pains were getting stronger. By 6:30 they gave her the epidural and broke her water. Wayne, Terrie and Devon Harrison came to the hospital and later Chad came over, too. We just laughed and talked, and it really was fun! She was comfortable so I know she enjoyed it as well.

We kept her nurses informed of her history with Caiden’s birth; the quick dilatation, pressure and fast delivery by the nurse. We wanted them to know that could be a possibility of happening again. Bree was given instruction to let them know as soon as she felt pressure.  They checked her again just after 8pm and she was dilated to a 6. It wasn’t 15 minutes before she said that she was feeling pressure. They checked her and yep, she was complete (dilated to a 10). They called the doctor who said he was 10 minutes away. So we waited, all the while she was holding her legs together and just breathing through the contractions. She was patient but I don’t think she would have gone much longer had he not arrived  when he did. I think the nurse was getting a little worried that she may have to deliver and didn’t want to do that. She just keep coaching Bree what to do. I think Brett whispered to her to go ahead if she just wanted to push.

The doctor came right in, put on the gown, counted his tools, put her legs in the stirrups and she bore down and the head came out. Lots of black hair – lots of it! With the next contraction, he came out. There was just excitement in the room. They placed him on her tummy, rubbed him up but his coloring was great right out of the womb. Brett cut the cord. Terrie recorded his first cry and I clicked the camera as fast as it would go.

Nixon was measured, weighed, tested and imprinted and cried the whole way through. He weighed 6 lbs 6 oz and was 20” long. We stayed a bit longer. Chad came back. We all got our turns to hold him. Then we left so that Brett and Bree were alone with Nixon. 

Something that was fun for Bree was that her friend from the ward, who she visit taught or visa versa, was laboring in the room 2 doors down. They would text each other back and forth to see how the other was progressing. They were at the same level a majority of the time until the end when Bree went so fast. However, Natalie, her friend, delivered about and 1.5 later.

It was a beautiful experience. I feel so blessed and grateful that I have been able to be a part of my daughter-in-laws deliveries. They are so good to me. I love that I can be doing something (taking pictures). I love documenting life. But more than anything I love watching them come into this world. I love the good parents our children are. I love adding another to our expanding family. I love that modern medicine makes it a much more pleasant experience than the days of old. And each girl, has made it appear easy. I love them for the good moms they are and that that is the most important thing in their lives.

One question I will ask when I get to heaven (or maybe I will just instantly have the knowledge) is what are the babies thinking during this birthing experience.






















0 comments: